PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport security - Is it all a play for the public and politicians?
Old 24th Mar 2013, 15:06
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport security - Is it all a play for the public and politicians?

Now a couple of eye-openers for me, and maybe I am paranoid with regards to these issues, but still I am curious with regards to other peoples thoughts of this.

During the last few years security at the airports have become apparently much more stricter, with regards to potential dangerous objects that are not allowed to be brought with on-board.

Of course we would not expect anybody to have sharp weapons like knives etc on themselves.

However for me there are a few obvious issues I have with this.
Few months ago I visited an airport in Europe, selling Swiss Army knives, in all sizes, this was after passing the security control!

How can this be allowed? With a connecting flight very often you do not go trough any more screenings nearly anywhere in the world where you go, with few exceptions.

In another airport, in Denmark I saw them selling a large cork-screw wine opener, or maybe it is me having to much imagination?

Finally, the issue that makes me think that all the security is a joke, is the fact they allow the sales of alcohol glass bottles at the airport, now with 1, 2 or more bottles, of hard would it be to have a dangerous sharp object made, simply by breaking 1, 2 or more bottles!

Of course the airport companies would not be happy for such increased security measures, however it should raise questions that potential dangerous objects are allowed, because it suits the airport in their search for profit - I guess some can have their cake and eat it!

Does it take an incident or an accident for something to be changed?

I guess the need for profit by the airport operators is greater than the need for safety and security!

I mean what is most dangerous, my belt or my watch, that I have to take of every day on duty, or a pax with 2 bottles of Vodka?