PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not in it for the money.
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2003, 18:47
Bluebaron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not in it for the money.

For all those wannabees out there who are interested in becoming pilots for the money, think again.

An interesting thread over on T&E about F/O take home pay. Basically around 2200 quid net a month.

Now I’m not a mathematician (can't barely spell the word!) but the average UK wage is around 24,000pa that’s around 1500 a month net.

So after spending a minimum of 60,000 grand on an integrated course that means you will be earning 700 quid a month more than average wage.... now stay with me......., that’s 60,000/700 ie: 86 months or 7 years to before you see any profit.

Also don't forget the 14 odd months without earning, or 21000 to our average earner or another 2.5 years.

So if you mange to get a job straight out of training (unlikely, took me 5 years and 1700 hours). Then you take nearly 10 years before you see and realistic return on your investment, (plus interest).

So if you are still with me............... Don't become a pilot for the money, do it because it's what you really want to do and damn the cost. You'll all get there in the end.

Two pence worth spent.

BB