PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 line training how to get 500hrs?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 15:42
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been looking for a way to get these 500hrs all the airlines ask to fly the A320. I believe the only way nowadays is P2F and the only airline I found was Atlasjet with negative feedbacks.
Do you honestly think that is all you need to do?

There are no end of pilots with 500 hours, 1000 hours, 2000 hours, 3000 hours....etc. on these (and other) types of jet aircraft in the general marketplace. For a pilot applying for a vacancy with only 500 hours on type (around 6-8 months experience for most operators,) the application would beg the questions: What is their background, and why are they looking for alternative employment with so little experience?

There can be very good and plausible answers to those questions, but there are also "red flag" answers. Plenty of good candidates (with so little experience) can find themselves in that position as a result of short term placements with quality operators. Similarly, plenty of people are looking for better stability and terms and conditions as progressive opportunities arise. This is very common where terms and conditions may be weak, but the training background has been of good quality. There are also good quality pilots who may be available because of the failure or retrenchment of their previous employer.

500 hours is a very minimum benchmark for an airline looking for "experienced" pilots. I have underlined the magic word, and you would be wise to take heed of it. When a reputable company is looking for pilots they are usually inundated with applications. The filters they apply to those applications vary, but there are keywords that raise flags with many of them. There is a lot of quality out there, much of it is good, but some of it is very poor. It isn't a secret to most recruiters, who participates where in that spectrum.