PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The C27's are a coming
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2013, 13:40
US Herk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comparing average load of a strategic airlifter to that of a tactical transport is a little disingenuous. The C17 and other strat lifters operate both scheduled and non-scheduled lines. Scheduled lines, like airlines, operate regardless of cargo capacity (for the most part), thus reducing their average payload.

Tactical airlifters aren't about maxing out useful load, rather, performing specific airlift into specific areas that (normally) strategic airlifters either can't get into, or aren't cost effective (moving one pallet into a smaller airfield).

Consequently, these utilization numbers end up being just so much niff naff and trivia trotted out to justify things when they're convenient. I wouldn't read too much into any of them.

As for the C27, it's been "pursued" and "discussed" in some of the niche areas for a long, long time in the USAF. In fact, ever since the C27A left Panama. Many South American strips will not support a C130 and the C27 is a perfect fit (and why the A-model was purchased in the first place). The J-model C27 is a very good aircraft and as far more performance margin than the earlier A model. Special Ops has also expressed interest when Alenia and Lockheed first got together on the project many years ago. SOF, however, can rarely procure their own aircraft - they have to piggy-back on a "big blue" buy (or Navy, in the case of CV22) and then use SOF-specific MFP-11 money to make modifications.

Once the C27J program was announced, AFSOC was one of the first to jump on the bandwagon with AC27J - A light gunship. They didn't ask for MC27J, which was one of their real desires, simply because they were busying trying to increase their MC130J buy from 30-75 and if they got more lift in the form of MC27J, they would've had a harder time justifying more MC130J and the need to recapitalize the aging MC130 fleet was the higher priority.

C27 is a good niche tactical airlifter. Army-Air Force bickering aside, I'm very disappointed it got cut - I know both SOUTHCOM and AFSOC are as well.