PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tires and tubes for Cessna 172
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2013, 07:32
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
beeza,
In AU, it's Part 42 so far, with the CARs still for non-RPT, but there is a whole bunch of discussion papers from CASA out now.

Lord knows how Schedule 8 in the current CARs will fare, given the implacable opposition of some CASA ex-LAME employees, who would ban pilots doing a daily, if they thought they could get away with it.

In fact, I think they would vote for pilotless aircraft for preference.

CASA have quite extensive documentation on Schedule 8, and if you are into black comedy, the CASA/AOPA touring safety roadshow gives an interesting "CASA" interpretation as to why you can't do many of the things Schedule 8 seems to say you can do.

For example, change a battery ?? ---- not so fast, you have to have the approved data, as beeza says, and when you get the data, the battery manufacturer says the battery must be fully charged prior to fitting --- and that can only be done in a CAR 30/CASR 145 workshop.

When you are changing your tyres/tires, you do have a current calibration certificate for your torque wrench, do you?? That and the data problem solved, when you are cleaning and repacking the bearings, to be absolutely compliant, this is probably best done blindfold, to prove you haven't looked at/inspected the bearing rollers/balls/race surfaces --- because CASA says this is verboten ---- secret LAME business, you know.

Re. spark plugs, some time ago, at a quite heated meeting in Canberra, on this subject, a well known "LAME" complained that he had had to do a five year apprenticeship to change spark plugs.

I sympathized with him, saying I understood why, in his case this was a necessity.

My memory is good enough to remember what I could do, as owner maintenance, on my first aircraft, a Chipmunk. That list has been whittled away over the years by regulations where LAMEs have had the influence, and any question of risk assessment or justification of ever increasing restrictions has been ignored.

Tootle pip!!

PS: I have done a lot of business with Desser (spelling??) over the years, always very good, but for run of the mill branded small tyres/tires, buy them where you get the best landed price, including release notes/8130.3. For small tyres/tires. US Postal Service is the cheapest and fastest from the US, Royal Mail Parcel Force from UK.

Last edited by LeadSled; 20th Mar 2013 at 07:44.