PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tires and tubes for Cessna 172
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2013, 09:42
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No emotion involved.

The rules are well defined and as I say they are pretty well international.
Much like it is frowned upon to fly without a current medical or even teach your daughter to fly when you don't have an instructor's rating.

It is illegal to operate an aircraft when it is maintained outside of the regulations in force. Most C of A certificates have a clause on the front stating that the certificate is invalidated in such an event.

The statement made was along the lines of 'Pull your head in, owners can do that '.

I was curious as to what the level of understanding really was.
Quite clearly the pilot/owner cannot do it unless certain conditions are met.

Having a good working knowledge of the regulations being one of them, Certifying the logbook another.

Working under the direct supervision of a LAME is another matter altogether and indeed another paragraph or two in the regs.
We then get into the definition of direct supervision.

Many may be surprised by the definition there also.

No legalese involved. These are the regs we are required to operate with. They are not that difficult to read and understand.

I know many pilots that have a very good understanding of the regs, they would generally be the maintenance controller at a club or similar.
The average private owner typically has a lesser knowledge of the rules.

They are the ones that need to read up in order to understand their aircraft a little better.

As suggested some owners do have a mechanical knowledge and aptitude. Changing a tyre is an easy task for some. That is not to say the log entries are done in any kind of acceptable fashion though.

I get to see many owners do pilot maintenance very well, and iaw all the rules and regulations.
Thinking about it they are also the ones that have a good dialogue with the LAME and listen to the prompting.

To suggest all pilots can do the tasks included included in the list would be a little mischievous, - if not incorrect.