PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ascoteers ?
Thread: Ascoteers ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2013, 18:52
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ascoteers ?

Notwithstanding a previous post by Salad Dodger re the trivial threads being posted on this Mil forum, and also the fact that despite logging around 5000 hours of flying in RAF C130's I was never classed as 'military aircrew', I will post this and hope the moderators see it for what it is, a genuine search for knowledge.

I started my time in the RAF at Colerne as part of a Hercules Base 3 servicing team, after several tours I ended up back on 'Albert' as a GE ( where the flying hours came from) and was well aware that our routes were given codes depending on the Mk of aircraft and destination ie: 4021 was a MK 1 aircraft on the Deci schedule via Wildenrath. A number beginning 5*** would dictate a Mk 3 (Stretch) being used. VC10 routes were 2****, Tristar 3****. At all times I was aware that the number was prefixed with the 'company call sign' ASCOT. And here lies the nub of the question. I was told by a Pilot of my acquaintance that the word is an acronym of Air Support Command Operational Tasking. He also told me that local trainers from Lyneham, Brize etc should not be prefixed with ASCOT if it was not a 'route' trip. I have certainly been on trips to Newcastle from Lyneham where the call sign ASCOT 943 was used. I wonder if anyone can help with the following:

What is the validity in the claim that the ASCOT call sign was derived as above ?

Are there any other Royal Air Force call signs which have a similar historical precedent ?

I apologise to Salad Dodger if my question infringes his feelings of correctness in proffering content to this 'community'. It may well be that way back in the past this particular subject has been well and truly dealt with. I'm just very curious, and old enough to find it interesting.

Smudge