PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA save BA money!
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2013, 16:31
Juan Tugoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So why do I pay my membership fees? For others who don't?
Get real JT - we're not talking about a broke, impoverished group!
Leaving aside the personal insults, Unite have not yet been to an ET except to have judgment stayed, waiting the result of the BALPA case. So in reality NO group of employees has a case with BA to expect HP except for those pilots that were part of the claim. Unless the case was to prove a point of law, which it did. The case proved that BA crew with a highly variable pay have a right to an element of that pay while on holiday. With that right established in law, it is offensive when a union then urges an company not to honour that right for non-union members from it's own staff group let alone another one.

My objection is with my union joining forces with UNITE to urge BA not to pay pilots AND cabin crew any HP unless they are part of the union. I think that this is despicable. Pilots unions should not be involved in what a company pays it's cabin crew at all. Indeed until now BALPA has remained neutral - whether Wonker and his ilk will admit it BALPA did not either support or work against BASSA in the strike. Individuals acted but not the union.

So when you say that we are not talking about a broke, impoverished group we are talking about cabin crew. I don't care a fig whether UNITE wants to call for it's non-members to be screwed over, but i do object when my union decides to do so. It is not the place of BALPA to do so any more than it is the place of UNITE to call for pilots not to get their rightful HP.

This is not about someone riding on the coat tails of a union, we all get what we pay for from our respective unions, but about a couple of unions BALPA and UNITE joining forces to try to deny someone their rightful pay - just because the union won that right does not mean they get to decide to whom that right applies. It applies across the board or not at all.

Last edited by Juan Tugoh; 15th Mar 2013 at 16:32.