PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA save BA money!
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2013, 12:32
gorter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Tugoh
Unions cannot have it both ways, If they want to negotiate pay and T&Cs for everyone, the price has always been that non-members also get the benefits.
Leaving this specific letter writing aside.

Whilst I'm not a BA pilot, I am a long time BALPA member. Surely you have that the wrong way round! If you want the benefits of membership you need to be a member and not hang on to the coat tails of those who are willing to stump up 1% of their gross salary.

BALPA took a risk spending money I have given to them by going to the courts. Sometimes they win like in the holiday pay case, sometimes they lose like in open skies. It's a risk you take going to court. It's a risk I'm happy to support just as BALPA takes risks in my airline which I hope the members in BA are willing to support.

But why on earth should I risk my subs on someone who isn't willing to pay his or her fair share?

And as to negotiating T's and C's, I'm pretty sure in the current BALPA BA agreement there's a clause that states that any pilot is free to negotiate their own terms and conditions. If you're not happy with what balpa's doing on your behalf (without you paying for the service) feel free to negotiate your salary, per diems, rostering agreement, loss of licence, health care, pension etc yourself.

Last edited by gorter; 15th Mar 2013 at 12:36.