PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Albo's White Paper Elephants.
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2013, 04:31
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Albo's White Paper Elephants.

I borrowed a couple of paragraphs from -Piers Akerman's -blog. The parallels between aviation and the media control fiasco seemed to ring a couple of fairly large bells.

On Thursday the government leader in the house, Anthony Albanese, tabled six Bills with which Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Communications Minister Stephen Conroy hope to gag the press into submission.
The article then goes on to say -

He likened the lack of consultation with the media industry on the so-called reforms to the incompetent delivery of the failed mining tax. He also reminded parliament that ICAC’s current investigation into NSW Labor identity Eddie Obeid had its genesis in newspaper reporting conducted in co-operation with the ABC - co-operation which would be banned under the new legislation. (my bold).
While we are waiting for the Senate and (I hear) the DPP to sort out the Pel Air aberration this may be a good topic for discussion. I mean to say that if passed will this bill muzzle the likes of the ABC who did the Pel Air report, Paul Phelan who always tells it 'how it is' and Ben Sandilands who doesn't pull many punches either (acknowledge there are others). It's tough enough for these boys and girls to get any sort of story out there, they must be very careful what they write, ensure hard facts as and when they publish. Could the proposed legislation even affect Pprune when you get right down to it ? and that would be a shame.

It would be a hellish world if there was nowhere to publicly discuss, for example the infamous Albo Aviation White Paper and decide whether it was a total farce, the ultimate in well polished Teflon coated pony pooh; or, to even dare examine if even one of the lofty goals was achieved. With a bit of a stretch and a good natured push, it could be said that, whilst the White paper had some good intentions CASA got nowhere near any targets. A cynic could argue that parts of the sub text were open to exploitation which could arguably be demonstrated; look at the Senate Inquiry into pilot training. Water off a ducks back with a white paper umbrella to boot.

Non aviation mate asked the other day – "with all the trouble in ASA, CASA and the ATSB what visible improvements to Air safety have been made over the last four years"? I told him we now have 'Hi-Viz' vest requirements, proposed penalties for not sending CASA a recent photograph and world class standards in Snakes & ladders, Musical chairs and occasionally pocket Chess. What else could I say??....

Never been much of a one for politics but this passage of play caught my attention and anyway. I swear if I see one more Pope story -

-and Paddington gave him a hard stare. "In Darkest Peru," he said, remembering all that Mr Gruber had told him, "we had fireworks every fête day."

{Cheers Hempy - was only a fast twiddle; but if we do get serious, best fixed early}....

Last edited by Kharon; 15th Mar 2013 at 19:01. Reason: To correct operational expediency - which as we all know.....