PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet to create 330 pilot jobs
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2013, 11:50
WhyByFlier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, let's really dispel some myths here because what you're saying is just silly, emotional and sensationalist. I can personally guarantee you that the majority of people doing CTC etc. are not rich - not by a long, long, long way. They may well be reckless, irresponsible and selfish but they aren't rich. Many are from from family homes that have at most a £250-350K house. I hope I'm not being a snob or out of touch with reality but those figures don't make them remotely well off to my mind. I was extremely lucky i.e. through no skill, foresight or design of my own to be have the unsecured loan through CTC and be able to train without one penny of backing from my parents or anyone else. About one year after I started with CTC all unsecured loans were pulled. Whilst doing my MCC/JOC and TR, and also now flying the line I have met tens and even hundreds of people who trained after me and had to take secured loans / 'borrow' from their family.

Personally I would not and morally could not have done what they did. I've met 19 year old state school kids whose parents live in some of the less affluent Northern cities and came across as very 'Down to Earth' when I met them. I met them at Dibden whilst they were having meet and greets and i was doing the advanced training. These people asked me for my opinion on what they were doing - putting their homes - sometimes worth £200K - up as collateral for the training. I obviously declined to comment and advised the ball was in their court. These people make up the majority of the trainees. Because the loan isn't attached to them and as is the nature of youth and pilots they go and get their own finance on cars - which anyone can get - especially people who appear to hold no debt - remember the debt is on their parents homes. i've seen these guys - when they want a holiday or an ipad then mum and dad say, don't worry - have a month off. I don't have that luxury with my loan - It's pay or go into arrears.

There are a few rich people training (nothing like the majority though) - strangely enough some of these are the that have gone bankrupt and possibly ruined the chance of unsecured borrowing for a course like this in the future. they make me laugh - they have lovely cars, always the latest apple products, the luxury of staying on Flexi until they get what the base, contract they want an sometimes even mortgages. I don't get emotional about them though because that's their life and their families right. I'm learning a great deal from my position - restraint, responsibility and control. i know i'll have paod for and earned everything I have. If i was lucky enough to have my parents pay for it all, would I have done - you're damned skippy I would have. And so would you. So don't be jealous, bitter or a blamer. The stresses, strains and missed youth I have incurred from my debt are a massive hurdle.

We were offered some tasty parting advice by one of the directors after some cock ups - in this industry don't blame and don't complain - you'll spend your life miserable and disliked.

The people who have been instructors for 2-3 years, trained 5 years ago etc do make me laugh - you too could have tried CTC and had an unsecured loan. Why didn't you? Bad research, bad decision making or didn't get in? CTC isn't some superlative training establishment and it's product isn't necessarily the best so please don't think that is my claim. But it did the job for me. I didn't like some of the 'bosses' one bit but......whatever.

My advice?

- Integrated is the emphatic way to go if you decide to train. I don't care what someone who trained 12 years ago says - this is now. I can see why having previously done a PPL. Comparing integrated and modular is like comparing an airline and a small biz jet operator. The airline has strict, monitored SOPs, standardisation, continuity (750+ hours a year) and a wealth of experience. The biz jet operator is a bit suck it and see, make the picture fit and lacking in continuity (300 hours a year max). All of my ex biz jet friends agree having now flown for easyJet.

- I repeat I would not and could not (morally) gamble against my parents home.

- Don't listen to the crap on here. Get off here and never look back on here until you are in an airline or paid flying position.

Disclaimer: I'm not looking down my nose at anyone who has trained modularly, flown biz jets or taken loans against their parents homes. There are pros to taking these routes - you're eventual decision will be a best case average. If you're offered a biz jet position once qualified you'd be mad not to take it.