PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet another F4 sim question
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2013, 17:55
soddim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at Coningsby when the F4 sim came online - probably around 1970. Prior to that no first tourists were trained as the sim was thought necessary for them. The visual model was used from the beginning and was at the time state of the art but it was all too easy to take the camera to the edge of the board in use and 'crash' the visual.

If I remember correctly the local board airfield resembled Coningsby in as much as the runway heading was correct but the topography was generic rather than Lincolnshire - I think there were also some terrain height discrepancies.

The tactical board was modelled on Poland and the whole set-up was designed as a full mission simulator. So much so that the Chief Scientist at the time got us to run a trial with a new course who did the entire sim programme prior to their first flight in the jet. It was thought that this would prove that aircraft sorties could be saved by sim use - the problem with that idea was that there was no way current pilots and navigators would allow themselves to admit that this could be so! We were not stupid!

Although the visual enhanced training value it was far too mechanical and unreliable to be of long term use and it did not survive service use for very long.