PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM Training - A question about its operational limitations
Old 10th Mar 2013, 15:12
HOCHWALDSPRUDEL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. In a complex world, where you know all facts and risks (an ideal world), then a complex solution will deliver the best, the most logical results. But in an environment like flying an aircraft, with so many changing facts, you cannot know all facts and by aiming for a complex solution making, the load of information will become an overkill (if it is a time critical decision). So what do you do. You have to stay simple. You have to get rid of most of the information and stick to one or 2 points which you focus. (If you cannot extinguish the fire immediately, get the aircraft down, and get it down anyway, also if you successfully extinguished the fire, cause you never know.) This will deliver a better result in the end, like getting the plane on the ground, before it burns in the air. You use a Heuristic, also known as Rule of Thumb (an explanation for an unconsious/ intuitive decision). Often, these rule of thumbs are applied unconsiously. Like the Hudson River Emergency Landing, which is also described above in the movie by Prof. Gigerenzer. If, during the glide, the angle from the aircraft to the tower gets flatter, then the tower rises more and more, you know, you won't make it to the airfield. You don't have to do mathematical calculations, if it is possible to reach an airfield, there would be no time and it would be too complicated anyway. That is, why it makes it difficult to explain decisions made of intuition. So people refer to this as Airmanship, expierence, skills...active captain leadership and so on (which is understood as part of effective CRM). I wouldn't see Decision Making or Airmanship or Pilot Judgement or Error Management as an operational limitation. IT IS EFFECTIVE CRM if applied correctly (or not effective). But it is PART OF CRM. Like communication, which is also a part of CRM. If you ask people a few years later, who were tought a CRM-training, what CRM stands for, they will often answer that CRM is there that they should communicate better. But why do we have to communicate better? TO AVOID MISTAKES/ Errors which result in fatal accidents (or as nowadays to manage errors). Like communication, also all other non-technical skills (error management and so on) are part of CRM. Therefore I don't see an operational limitation of CRM. Flying skills are flying skills, and non-technical skills (CRM) are non-technical skills, which of course are always applied together at the same time if you want or not. So if the aircraft burns in the sky, it was, because CRM was not applied correctly. That is, why also CRM continous to develop further. If the aircraft burns, you have to apply undesired state management. Get the aircraft down. But it is always easier to judge afterwards...
So I would differentiate between effective and non effective CRM. Alone with flying skills, you won't get the aircraft on the ground, because you have to make the decision first, that you start your descend-now! (and that is part of CRM). To stay in the air without getting to a point would be poor decision making-poor CRM. And CRM does not mean "management by committee", I think that is a wrong understanding (it seems for me), for me CRM means getting the best, the safest result. And that can be sometimes an active leadership behaviour, or like a Co-Pilot who is assertive when the captain is about to do something stupid or against the law and speaks up. That is effective CRM. (To use all available resources; if the checklist is there, but if it is too complicated to use for this specific time critical situation, then don't use it!) We don't have to understand CRM as a group-decision. But it usually offers more chances to get to a safer decision, if subordinates feel free to speak up first. You get better results and better opinions, if subordinates are being asked first. If the Captain proposes an opinion first, it it will be adapted by subordinates and the result will be, that you won't get a different sight on things, which could have been better. But sometimes, there is no time for group decisions, and CRM may not be understood as group decision. CRM will continue to develop, it is not a final solution. Therefore I think, the question you are referring to should be more like what is effective CRM and what not. And not to ask what is the operational limitation of CRM...that depends on how it is used!