PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Turbo Arrow IV .. Am I nuts??
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2013, 22:46
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
A few thoughts about the T tail Arrows. They are delightful planes, though require some pilot familiarization if the pilot has not flown T tail similarly sensitive aircraft before. Anyone competent in a Tomahawk would be fine in a T tail Arrow (engine, propeller and gear considered).

The auto landing gear system may have been disabled some time ago, there was a Service bulletin for that for Piper.

I would hesitate to buy a "legacy" Piper now, as the parts support and technical support from Piper is poor. There are special parts (like primary structure wing parts) which are no longer available at all, and I know of an Arrow which has literally been abandoned because of minor, but irreparable corrosion (a one inch spot) on the wing spar. I had to approve another for special dispensation following hail damage which on any Cessna would be considered negligible damage. It was a very involved (costly) approval. If the plane is in perfect condition, okay, but the slightest maintenance glitch on the future could become a big problem fast.