PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2013, 12:27
TizerTheAppetizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentle Climb -- I'm glad that it's worked out for you. Long or short haul at the moment?

I respect the advice that I'm being given here and it has dampened my expectations somewhat but my heart won't let logic get in the way. Even if I end up bush flying in Africa or Australia, I'll be OK.

The truth is that this is probably my last shot at something I've wanted to do all my life, but I've been prevented from doing so until not so long ago, when surgical advances mean that I can now get 6/6 in an injured eye (hoepfully). I've spoken to the CAA about it.

If I fly turboprops around Europe for the rest of my life I'll be a very very happy man.

And the age thing... some will consider me, others won't. Even if I didn't get my first FO job until I was 50, I'd still have 15 years or flying in me and another five years of teaching.

Why do we write people off so quickly in the UK? Being in your 40s or early 50s isn't old anymore. The airlines will have to catch with the rest of society on this one...