PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2013, 10:51
Gentle Climb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tizer

I was very close to 40 when I started my flight training and I received my nice blue licence a couple of years later. I'm not going to go in to the reason why it was so late but your 'thats what I like to hear' comment set of alarm bells with me.
You are considering a complete change of career and I think that it has a lot of consequences that you need to think about carefully.
At some stage you will complete your training and you will head out in to the marketplace with your shiny licence, confident that you have the skills and abilities to be a very good first officer and that your 'life experience' will be a valuable asset to an airline. You may be right. However take a look at who is recruiting and whether or not they will look at an older new entrant. Ryanair, Easyjet, Jet2, Bmir? I don't know for sure about BMIR and while I can't say that the others won't look at you for sure, it is my personal view that you won't end up with them. So what are you going to do then?

Send out lots more CV's further afield and have same response. What then? Try some instructing or some towing or just about anything to keep you flying and current?

How will that feel for you? Would you regret investing money, time, effort and a career for what...? How about your family, how would they feel?
Thats what happened to me and I can tell you...it is a bad place to be!
I guess that isn't what you like to hear but really you need to have a reality check, the odds of you finding a commercial job are far worse than a Grand National outsider. Do you take that risk or not?

Even now, with a current position, would I do it again? In all honesty I'm not sure that I would.