PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Busy airspace has the Commander flustered!
Old 28th Feb 2013, 21:19
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "American" line was just generic, but he gave numerous airlines "maintain VFR" at IFR levels, and one I remember distinctively at 11000ft. But he did also say he'd have further clearance for them soon as they came up on radar. I remember Westjet getting similar clearance (it was very busy on the frequency) and I know they fly into Palm Springs from Vancouver with their 737's. Allegiant also flies MD80's out of Palm Springs plus a few smaller regional jets. I don't know how they took off - I'm assuming they departed on a standard SID and then were left "hanging" at their clearance limit. I'm not instrument rated, so don't know exactly what the procedures are in these cases. Controller did mention that his low level radar was the one not working, and as they got higher he started picking them up. It's surrounded by 11000ft mountains, so it could have been the case that he was blind up to that level. The whole thing was very odd. But then as I passed Banning Pass (which is a section you never get radar coverage in even when it's working) and got picked up on the other side, that's when it really got busy.

What is the procedure when radar is down anyway? It obviously happens from time to time.

Thanks 172driver - let's go fly some day!

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 28th Feb 2013 at 21:21.