PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demand for Pilots
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2003, 20:46
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 225 Likes on 86 Posts
I look back on my time working for BAe in Jerez.

A British PLC, setting up a Spanish company relocating a British operation to an EU state. Employing instructors from numerous JAA States who trained and worked in countries around the globe before Jerez. The students came from just about every European country you could imagine and we flew British registered aircraft commercially in Spain paying local taxes and obeying Spanish CAA flying rules.

It was an illustrative lesson in the operation of liberalised free market labour and legislation.

Look to the near future. Both Ryanair and easyJet opening bases in JAA/EU countries with ambitious expansion plans. You might find yourself employed by an Irish or British airline based in Bergamo, Hahn, Orly or Munich. Whether you are Irish, British, Italian, German, French, Portugese or soon Czech or Polish etc. etc.

Its a fact that English being the Lingua Franca of aviation puts the mono-lingual Brit at a disadvantage in his employment search. But in fairness, the other chaps multi-linguistic skill is just that: a skill. A useful, tradeable skill acquired with application and effort.

To decry this skill or the legislation that allows its deployment is to fight a loosing battle. The Genie of the EU and the JAA are out of the bottle. Learn to live with it and recognise the opportunties it brings. Fancy a base in Manchester or Milan? Aberdeen or Alicante? Newcastle or Nice? These are some of the possiblities that EU and JAA membership now present.

At the end of the day you hear all sorts of accents flying G reg aircraft. But from my understanding - you hear British accents flying all over the globe in all nationalities of aircraft registrations.

If you really wanted all foreigners out of G-reg aircraft you would have to accept all British pilots back from around the globe.

I suspect the net result would not be that which you desire.