PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Medal for Drone Pilots
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2013, 00:47
cbaker501

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mental bravery or physical bravery?

I don't know how I come down on this argument... I don't feel like I deserve an opinion, or a voice... I'm not a veteran, merely the daughter and sister of some. But, I do think, if my dad were alive today, he might ask the question that other veterans are asking... good questions:

So, what exactly defines courage? what defines sacrifice?

Is the possibility of damage to the mind equal to the damage to the body?
I think we do have to answer the question this soldier asks,

"what about that guy that 'doesn't take the shot when a troop on the ground is screaming for it because the enemy is next to a bus full of 40 school kids." ?

Personally, I don't have a point of reference for defining bravery in battle. I wonder how much courage it takes to sacrifice yourself to save another human being. I've heard people who have been declared "heros" and/or given medals play down their actions, because they felt it was innate... "we're hard-wired for it" or "just doin' the job I was trained to do." , almost instinctively... or is it learned? I don't know. I do know this... like the guy above mentioned... it must take a lot of courage to "not take a shot" and risk the life of the soldiers screaming for our back-up.

I can't imagine... how do we define that courage? ... the on-going courage it would take to live a lifetime with the repercussions, self-doubt (not to mention the doubting of those around you that you serve with)... sometimes, I wonder if giving up a leg, or an arm might be easier - would it be easier to use a prosthesis? at least your mind can be still.

It's a toughie... and I'm still undecided. It's a bigger issue than most discussions I've read about it. I do believe that damage to the soul/mind [PTSD] is a real thing - unseen to those around the ones who suffer from it. I think I'd take a bullet any day, or give up a leg, before having to go down a recovery road of PTSD, because most don't make it and the stigma grows larger and heavier if we don't talk about the guy that "didn't take the shot," and the equally horrific damage done, or courage it required. Everyone's pain is different, as are choices and the repurcussions... and courage is also an individual thing... how exactly do we recognize an individual accomplishment within a truly team action as in the military and fighting for right? I don't know.