PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TMG rating with EASA PPL
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2013, 11:46
Prop swinger

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
P.s.: You meant "class rating" instead of "type rating" right?
Apparently I do, thank-you. I still have no idea what a variant is.

The trouble with TMGs is that most of the rentable ones are at gliding clubs & you have to be a member to fly them. Not an insurmountable problem but the BGA is not yet an ATO, never was an RTF, so any flying or testing done at a BGA club will not count for the purposes of FCL.725. You can still learn to fly a TMG at a gliding club but they won't (yet) be able to add a TMG rating to your EASA PPL.

I know of only 2 RTFs that offer motor glider training outside of the BGA (during the transition period RTFs count as ATOs.) Click on ifitaint's link, scroll down to power examiners and look for the names Ray Brownrigg (Oxfordshire Sportflying) & Clive Stainer (The MotorGlider Club - although the link by his name points to an SEP training club, he also runs a TMG club at Hinton.)

The Oxfordshire Sportflying website refers exclusively to NPPL SLMG training, & the BGA table shows that Ray Brownrigg is an NPPL SLMG examiner, so you need to be clear with them that you want to add a TMG to an EASA licence before signing up. Clive Stainer is listed as a JAR TMG examiner so is now presumably an EASA TMG examiner.

Section 5 of the NPPL SLMG syllabus describes the SLMG specific exercises, although I'm surprised it doesn't mention use of the airbrakes on approach. If you do the training in something as simple & slow as a T61 Venture/Falke, it will take you no time at all. Grob 109s, Dimonas & modern Falkes are a little more complex.