PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Snow and bad vis at Heathrow - who decides what is cancelled?
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 12:12
chrissw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery

Well it's a mystery to me.

19 Feb a friend was booked on the 09:20 Lufthansa flight from Heathrow to Munich; on the very same morning I looked on the LH web site and saw that the flight was cancelled, supposedly due to fog.

We rushed off to Heathrow in the hope of getting on the 07:20. However the M25 was completely snarled up due to an accident somewhere beyond Heathrow. Fortunately on the way I called LH, who informed me that she had been re-booked on the 07:20. The only problem was that LH had completely failed to inform us, either by e-mail or text message.

On arrival at Heathrow, there seemed to be little sign of any fog.

The point is this: LH managed to operate the 07:20 and every other flight to Munich that day, but cancelled the 09:20. Call me cynical, but I think they may be using the weather as an excuse to cancel flights which are not heavily booked.

Fortunately she got a restaurant voucher from LH - although we had to ask for it; it wasn't offered directly!

Last edited by chrissw; 22nd Feb 2013 at 12:13. Reason: Corrected the spelling of "voucher."