PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2013, 14:47
[email protected]

Received 669 Likes on 295 Posts
Fis - yes I have heard that plan rumoured as well - however, there is an 'all your eggs in one basket' argument that goes against that as a plan, NATS, D and D and ARCCK all in one place - it only takes one JCB to cut through the power/comms and you are in trouble.

The ARCCK has a standby facility at the moment just in case and I presume that NATS and D and D have similar contingency plans (or business continuity plans in management-speak) - but blobbing everything up usually only appeals to bean-counters.

The ARCCK is something else the MCA have coveted - it is only 10 years or so ago that they wanted it co-located with the MRCC at Falmouth.

Will the future ARCCK be manned by military or civilian staff? If there is no requirement for mil in front-line SAR then possibly not - that begs the question of who will take on that job. The MCA don't pay their watch managers a lot of money and across the country they are a variable breed - some excellent, some less so.

One could argue that such a national facility, responsible for tasking of all SAR aeronautical assets, should be staffed with well paid and motivated, highly trained and experienced people but we will have to see what actually happens. It is to easy to view the ARCCK as a glorified call-centre which is what the MCA are likely to do given their current plan for reducing local expertise around the country.

Hedski - without more specific info I can't ask questions to give you an answer. I know the ARCCK don't deliberately f888 people about so there has to be an operational reason. Was it night in the mountains tasking? Given the current lack of NVG on civsar, that might be a possible reason for tasking a mil asset over a civ one?