PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crashes on overrun in eastern Georgia, USA
Old 21st Feb 2013, 12:47
fotoguzzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Later: early consensus seems to be that it IS a Runway 10 overrun that somehow missed the manufacturing plant and motored along until it encountered a forest.]

I am not entirely convinced that this is an overrun event:

"Mike Miller, reporting: 'Now, I want to give you an idea of where this plane actually crashed at. We are standing alongside Washington Road right now, and to my right, across the street, behind those buildings...that is where the airport is. Now, back over here to my left, is where the Milliken Plant is. You probably can't see it because it's dark, but a mile and half behind the plant, that's where deputies say the plane crashed at.'"

From civilian online mapping, Washington Road is at the threshold to Runway 28 and would be the first thing encountered if Runway 10 were overrun. Milliken Plant is the next thing encountered and could just be avoided in a Runway 10 overrun. Then go another mile and a half....

A mile and a half past the end of the runway seems to me a long way for a plane to hold together. It would be easier for me to believe that the plane hit short of the threshold to Runway 28.

DEVELOPING ON 6: New Information Released In Deadly McDuffie County Plane Crash Investigation | ABC 6 WJBF-TV

Last edited by fotoguzzi; 21st Feb 2013 at 13:22.