PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse
Old 20th Feb 2013, 07:37
Fullagas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking shortcuts (such as PFT) because you didn't do proper research on career prospects at the outset is no excuse. There are jobs out there if you're patient and creative.
I'm in the US, and there's a local rich guy who bought 2 TRs to get hired on at a jet charter operator. Citation and Falcon. He's stuck in the right seat, as he lacks the skill and attitude to command. Impatience and skill rarely go together.

Why in the world do folks take training for a job they know is top-heavy with entry-level bodies, with little hope for hiring or advancement? Other careers don't have PFT schemers. PFT didn't happen overnight, it's been around for decades. If no one used the scheme, it would die out.

I was instructing years ago and took a call from a Sabre captain looking for a FO for the next day's trip, as his FO was taken I'll. I said I'd be glad to, and asked what the pay would be. He was upset at the question, and said it was jet experience and no pay. I declined.

Not long after, I interviewed with a corporate TP chief pilot who needed a backup FO. One of the last interview questions he asked was what pay I expected for a day trip. I had a price in mind and told him. He didn't react, just finished with a couple more questions. He took me on a day trip for flight eval and paid the rate I quoted. I was hired and on a later trip, he asked me why I thought I got the job. I said it may have been my ME hours or total time. He said, 'No, it's because you had a price in mind and wouldn't work for free'.
Ever since, I've used the same standard. I've never hired someone who would lower the bar for myself and the industry by stooping to such a level.