PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cheapest way to build hours
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2013, 19:37
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
It's going to sound unsympathetic, and I don't intend it unkindly, but on the whole, it takes a lot of people's work to get a plane into the air. We all want to fly with appropriate safety and security, and that costs. Sure, if you can fly a modest non C of A type aircraft, and mitigate costs with your personal effort, and you'll be an even better pilot for it. If it's a C of A plane, people earn their living maintaining them, and are entitled to not feel "dealt down" to cheap.

When you become a commercial pilot, you will expect to be fairly paid for your skill and effort, and some of that is to return to you your investment in getting to where you are in aviation. You'll be a person providing an aviation service.

If you are renting a plane, you have to be willing to cover the costs of that. If someone would like to give you a gift, that's super, but otherwise, being airborne ground costs, someone has to pay for it....

I agree with those who suggest that you buy a very modest plane, and pound the hours onto it. I did that 26 years ago, and I still have the plane. It's a sweet 150, which I have no plans to part with. You might find "cheap" to buy, and of course, buyer beware, there are deals out there. But you should not expect to find "cheap" to rent - those places just don't sustain themselves. It's false economy to enter into business with people who are cutting corners to provide a cheap service.

Everyone who hires a new commercial pilot knows that they worked hard, and paid well to get there. It's just the rite of passage....