PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - are 3000 jet hours not enough for interview?
Old 19th Feb 2013, 09:31
Journey Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decision making

It's indicative of the aviation industry that experience is over looked for cheap labour whilst at the same time safety groups are bemoaning the lack of handling skills and experience in the cockpit.

One aspect that causes me increasing concern is the character of pilots taking such debilitating terms and conditions. Commercial pressures are always going to seep down the line and be applied to flightcrew. It's our responsibility to be the last line of defence between the pressure and temptation operations departments are subject to and the safe execution of the flight. Operations departments have their pressures; we have ours. I have reservations about the motivation and ability of the P2F pilot to stand up to such pressure. They've already capitulated and would economically be in a vulnerable position. The astronomical levels of investment are creating a docile flight deck increasingly unable to withstand commercial pressure. I can only see this situation deteriorating as P2F flightcrew move up the ranks.

One of the basic tenants of the air operator structure is the isolation of the flight crew from anything but safety concerns. Whilst we all experience varying shades of grey in our work and there is certainly room for 'commercial airmanship' where we do all we can to assist the profitability of our employer within the bounds of safety; there will be times when we get isolated and have to make critical safety decisions.

I hope I have conveyed myself correctly. I don't judge pilots who pay to fly - maybe you've hit the ceiling with 5000 hours of TP and can't make the jump to a more sustainable career path; maybe you're fresh out of school and your aspirations are clouding the council of experienced pilots. Whichever it is, the financial debt entailed in P2F doesn't bode well for being the last line of safety.

To the OP, best of luck.