PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2013, 14:00
TheBigD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Middle Age Itch
What are the chances of someone in their mid-40s getting a job after completing their fATPL?

I have the funds, I love flying etc etc but I don't want to be unemployed after 12-14 months of hard work...

Any thoughts appreciated...

It is a VERY VERY VERY tough market out there. You can read what others have posted about the state of the industry so no need for me to go over that. However, if you decide to go this route, these are just my humble opinions.

My advice would be to go the modular route because it will be much cheaper than the integrated route and the certificates i.e. licenses are the same. So go about it the least expensive way. If a school wants you to spend a ton of money for a guaranteed job interview run as fast as you can. I can guarantee you an interview. That means nothing. So, spend your hard earned money wisely, do your research.

In terms of employment (and I'm speaking for the States), my regional has hired guys in their late 40's and early 50's. Regionals, in the States, do hire middle age guys because they will most likely end up staying with the company and will not jump ship to the legacy carriers. As a matter of fact, I flew with a fairly new FO who was in his early 50's. Get your FI certificate instead of your TR, cause at least you will be able to flight instruct while waiting for the industry to recover.

Best of luck. And my advice before you invest in any training program is to network and start making contacts now.

And if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Oh yeah, and before you spend a dollar ,or a euro or a pound, make sure you can get a medical.

Last edited by TheBigD; 14th Feb 2013 at 14:10.