PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABERDEEN
Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2013, 12:59
Richard Taylor
Fit like min?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone recall the Freeport plans?

Looking at the current, ongoing & planned business/industrial parks springing up around the airport boundary had me thinking about this subject.

In the early 80s - 81/82 I think - the Conservative Govt of the day wanted to set up a number of freeports, one of which was to be built in Scotland.

There were two candidates - Prestwick, & Aberdeen. As I recall the criteria was a successful & growing economy with increasing demand forecast. At the time, Prestwick was in the doldrums, & Aberdeen was considered the favourite for Freeport status as it was booming at the time.

The decision went to...Prestwick. In the Scottish Secretary's constituency was...Prestwick.

Ah, politics!

Had Aberdeen been given the Freeport status, I wonder whether what we are now seeing springing up could have been how the area could have looked had Freeport status been bestowed on the area.

Who knows - I cannot recall how the freeports performed, or even whether all that were proposed came into being! As for Prestwick - well, look where it is now.

The cyncial among us may wonder whether the jams we now have around the airport & elswhere would have been seen a lot earlier had the freeport status been secured & all that could have followed on from it.

Perhaps the airport will be hoping now that all the extra industrial building sees an increase in cargo/freight ops, as doubtless the energy & related companies new & existing will want to move in, many of course exporters of goods & services.

Will be interesting to see what happens, although the Master Plan (from what I read) doesn't seem to think there will be a significant rise in freight related movements...perhaps Aberdeen Harbour will be the main beneficiary.