PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2013, 11:51
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@BOAC - I was thinking roughly late '70s. Was it in fact earlier as far as you know?

Cheers!

Originally Posted by fdr
The application of CRM in itself doesn't make for a competent pilot, but a competent pilot without CRM is a PITA and has potential safety issues.
Would you not consider it fair to say additionally that pilots who have demonstrated above-average levels of competence tend to show the traits that make up the underpinnings of CRM (whether they've been trained in CRM or not)?

Problem solving when you have a failure of the basic ability to aviate a J3 Cub is going to end badly.
Fundamentally, should it not be the case that qualified pilots have the ability to do so when they begin their line careers? The issue is in refreshing those basics from time to time, and translating their PPL experience to the larger types they are now flying, no?

...just having crew that have actually flown real aircraft and understand implicitly how they work.
Modern airliners are still real aircraft no matter how much automation they have - I'd say the danger is in management failing to realise this.

Originally Posted by BOAC
...what I think the CRM topic does is to make the receptive folk THINK and perhaps realise there are areas where they can improve approachability and team play.
Aye, and from another perspective, develop methods of dealing with the less-receptive people that will defuse any problems without putting the conduct of the flight at risk.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 14th Feb 2013 at 14:01.