PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet to create 330 pilot jobs
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2013, 16:58
misterman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I graduated a couple of years ago at an unfortunate time and joined a long queue for jobs. I was one of the lucky ones and finished at a time the airlines had began to start clearing out the pools. As we started, we all felt sorry for those graduating and held on to hope things would have improved in 2 years time. I was well aware of classmates that knew the consequences of a perhaps poorly timed start of training. I am sure none of you will believe me but I was under no illusion before starting training that my provider was perfect. I knew I wouldn't have a job the morning after passing my IR and fortunately I had a previous career I could fortunately return to easily should things not quite work out for one reason or another. I was not 20, I knew my provider couldn't possibly be the best flying school in the world, I also knew that they didn't owe me a job how ever much the brochures suggested they would.

Again, I was just replying to a comment left by one user asking why his 700 likely mixed GA hours (assumption) may leave potential employers without perhaps less information than one of the big 3 could provide. I do agree with you that as unfortunate as it is, the airlines will continue to take those that can afford it. EZY is pretty bad and the wonderful new contract is obviously a bit of a joke. Ryanair is worse but as I understand the take home pay isn't terrible (don't quote me). It is of course a horrible situation for everyone to be in, the graduates are forced to take a job or else they lose currency and miss their opportunity. I would have loved to work my way up through African flying and onto turboprops. I feel I have missed out an important step of career development. Me and my family needed a semblance of stability so I felt that I had taken a better option.

I will leave it there as we seem to be going round in circles and it was a sort of off topic reply in the first instance. I appreciate union pressure on the airlines but more must be done.