PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas-October 28th
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2013, 03:43
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
fish

...but whilst they remain, trust and respect remains broken.
Sure. I agree. Part of me feels like saying 'f$*k you Joyce, Clifford, et al' but that's not going to get me/ us anywhere. For better or for worse (and let's be honest, the last few years have been undoubtedly for the worse), Joyce, Clifford et al are the only game in town for Qantas pilots.

So here we are. Would I like to have better leaders? Sure. Would I like to have things humming like they were 2000-2006? You bet. They're not though.

For mine, I'm not going to expend any more energy thinking/ feeling/ saying 'f@#k you Joyce' irrespective of whether they deserve it or not. I'm simply letting that go and moving on. I'm going to control the things I can and work hard at doing the things I can. That means I'll keep busting my gut to make Qantas successful not only because I'm a professional but because my future depends on it. If that means that sometimes I have to take a good dose of 'cabinet solidarity' and adhere/ do something that I don't particularly agree with (not talking abdicating command responsibilities/ safety here), then that's where I'm at. Yes that makes Joyce and Strambi and the rest of them hit their KPIs and look like geniuses and they'll claim credit for our hard work. The world has ever been thus.

Again I'll ask, what are our other options?

PS: I know from long experience how difficult it is to get 'tone' right in written form. I'm trying very hard to avoid coming across as argumentative and apologise if some comments seem that way. I'm not advocating a Neville Chamerlain 'peace in our time' approach either. It's a genuinely interesting discussion how we choose to respond to this PWC thing and what we do from here. My comments should be read in that context.