PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet to create 330 pilot jobs
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2013, 22:02
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The military aircrew argument is difficult (I am ex-mil myself). A substantial number of easyJet's trainers are ex-military and that would tell its own story in terms of their basic competence. However, for years military pilots walked into the top jobs and a number did themselves no favours by pouring scorn on those pilots who had never flown in the military and 'only' had commercial experience. Sadly, some formed an almost masonic relationship with their fellow ex-military colleagues and all the top jobs went to their mates. There is no doubt they are on the whole very capable people, but times have changed and it is now incredibly difficult for an ex-military pilot to gain employment in the civil world. This is a temporary blip, and I believe that in the next year or two a more equitable situation will arise. Nonetheless, I do not foresee a return to the 'old days' with jobs for the boys. What I do see is that ex-military pilots will have to pay for type ratings like everyone else and pay some serious money to get their feet on the ladder. What is clearly ludicrous is the current situation of taking countless young and inexperienced pilots who can barely land the aircraft instead of a wider recruitment policy embracing the best of all parts of the industry.