PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STN.......do you think
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2013, 08:32
FRatSTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you genuinely believe that BAA has put in their maximum level of commitment to find new operators, create the best possible passenger experince at Stansted and have done everything in their power to get Stansted growing again. I really don't think so!!!

Think of some examples:

EasyJet cuts Stansted by about 30% in 2 years to move into a much smaller rival airport. Any half decent operator would be like "no we're not having this" and do everything possible to fight to get them back. However, the amazing effort by BAA actually involves them just shrugging it off!

Lots of key and well perfoming routes have been lost. Belfast City is no longer served, only International. After BmiBaby's closure, the route was lost and despite performing well, has BAA really tried to find a replacement operator. NO, they did nothing whatsoever!

Think of all their airlines that have shifted presence to Gatwick and Luton in recent years. Norwegian, WOW Air, Air Berlin, Air Asia X, Atlantic Airways, Blue Air, El Al not to mention all the others that have since left Stansted like Cyprus Airways and Atlasjet and going even further back, Transavia (admitedly some of those have now left London altogether). There is no effort by BAA to try and maintain these services or indeed replace them.

An airport cannot just succeed by itself whether it be the size of Heathrow or Teesside. It has to be owned by the right people who will put in the maximum level of commitment, which I think we all know MAG are going to do. MAG will step in and be like...

"Right, look at all these operators Stansted has lost. They clearly saw something in Stansted, let's really get Gatwick and Luton quaking in their boots and fight for these services to come back. And let's offer LCC's fantastic financial deals they can't refuse by us recognising this is an alternative, low-cost gateway to London and let us bring all the skills, experience and relationships with a whole range of airlines we have at manchester to attract them into Stansted as well!"

That is what I call effort and commitment!!!

Last edited by FRatSTN; 11th Feb 2013 at 08:34.