PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse
Old 9th Feb 2013, 15:20
Piloto2011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newpilot,

Networking does the trick indeed, even in Europe.

The key to finding a job is starting off at the bottom. Or find a job that gets you near those already in, i.e. cabin crew, ramp, dispatch. And once you're in and flying, keep knocking on doors to progress.

In this biz, you have to be extremely patient. And persistent. But that will pay off.

I know of people who have send in their CV to the same operator ten plus times before eventually hearing back. Are you doing this?

Just another example: there was an ad on a contractor site, where an Asian HTP operator was looking for skippers: you had to be rated. Or non-rated. Min req was 3000+ TT with a fair share of PIC and multi crew time. Once in you could either wait your time and move up to their jet fleet. Or accrue the hours needed for a certain jet operator in the sandpit. So, there you go, two operators hiring non-rated guys, which could be a path to that first elusive jet job. And I'm sure there's more out there.

Now how to get those initial 3000 TT qualifying you for an application for that TP job, you'd have to be creative.

Go to Africa, meet the people there. If you're unsuccessful in your first year around, try again the following year. Maybe keep in touch with the people already working there. Let them know no hard feelings, you'll be happy to wait until next season.

Look around your area for tug, dropping, aerial photography work. Maybe instructing? It may be hard to see for someone just coming out of flight training how this road could really lead to flying bigger planes, but it does. Ask the old hands hanging here.

The main thing is, keep flying and keep knocking on doors.

It's tough, no question. And many years will go by before finally getting to fly that jet. But if it was easy, everyone'd do it.