PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BO 105 - Good, Bad or just Ugly?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2013, 02:58
Daddylynx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine Wear & Tear

We operate CBS4 & 5 in Sarawak - hot and humid but not particularly high - day VFR. Doing a 1000 hr inspection on the turbines of one (CBS5) we found that the 1st stage IGVs looking particularly 'chewed' more so on the leading edge. It would appear that it has possibly been over-temped (?). However, think we are all pretty honest with **** ups and all the in flight limitations have been ok with nothing exceeded that we know of. That said the pre-start limit of 150 deg C may have been compromised. With the Lynx we used to blow the engine if it was hot and once the indicated dropped below 150 we would advance the lever to Ground idle and the engine would wind up without a problem. The issue here was that if the residual temp was above 150 then there was a risk of overtemp from too rapid rise of temp. The same was true (so I was told when I did the conversion) of the Bell 206B - same engine as our BO 105s (RR Allinson). Have we 'blown' the IGVs here because we have not allowed the residual temp to reach 150? I often wait for 200 and then start but wait until 17% N1 and an indicated temp of below 100 - it starts up well within limits.

Is this wrong?

Grateful for some advice from more experienced/knowledgeable BO pilots/engineers