PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2013, 17:41
jimf671

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
... I honestly don't think that this is a major issue; famil training will be a nicety not a necessity. ...
It might not be an issue from where you sit but from a 1960s design to a modern helicopter is a big step up in downwash. On a mountain ridge, heavy downwash can result in fatalities and has done recently in other territories. There have been lesser incidents in the UK. Downwash danger in MR is a current IKAR Air Commission issue.

Encouragiing all sides to think about procedures for downwash mitigation has been one of my themes for some time. I know that the Stornoway guys have been giving this stuff some thought and there are people in offices in Dyce who understand the issue.

Purely on the basis of downwash, I have heard people saying that the S-92 is completely unsuitable for mountain rescue. I am sure that there are people saying similar things about maritime rescue. People do not understand that they are safer in an S-92. You have to get out there and educate them before the press get to them or there'll be hell to pay which will make your boss and his boss very unhappy.

Then there is the 189 cabin height and double doors. WARNING WARNING! CULTURE SHOCK ALERT! Where's the mute alarm button? It's that page with Training Scedule on the top.

Last edited by jimf671; 7th Feb 2013 at 17:42. Reason: Spell.