PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse
Old 7th Feb 2013, 14:52
TheBigD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I should chime in here since I am the one that posted the topic.
Here goes my attempt to answer some of the questions posted:

1. Question: How are these new pilots going to start a career and land a first job when NO airline will hire them, due to no experience? How are they going to get this experience? This is how it is nowadays. So, their option is P2F and LT. Give me just one other way for them to go?

What BS entitlement attitude is that that once you get your CPL/IR you are entitled to a jet job??? Yes I understand times have changed, back in the 60's even pilots in the States were getting picked up by airlines (United comes to mind) with just a wet CPL/IR ticket. But we as pilots must be adaptable. Yes, things have changed, so let's man up and get used to that and not cry about how things were.

First of all your (f)ATP doesn't mean a thing. It's not an ATP it's just a CPL. So what can you do. How about instead of paying 50K for a type rating and line training you get your instructor certificates and instruct for a while. The jobs are out there. You may have to move, get out of your comfort zone but instructing jobs are out there. Maybe get on with a small turboprop operator. Build up some time. Those entry level jobs are there. A 737/320 gig is NOT ENTRY LEVEL.

You are not entitled to that job just because you paid 100,000 pounds for the training. With that being said, unless you come from money, why would you want to spend close to $150K (100K pounds) for training. Come to the States get your certificates for a third of the cost ($50K all the way up to Commercial/Ir and all the instructor certificates CFI, CFII, MEI) then work out here as CFI's to gain some experience. Get your FAA ATP go home study for the EASA ATP exams and do a conversion. Is that not an option? Yes instructor pay isn't that great, but you know what, it ain't that bad when you are not saddled with debt. Plus the fact that you get to work with some great people and you will learn so much more by instructing. Trust me on that one. I love how most of you guys b*tch that you don't have enough money for an FI certificate. Should have done your homework and gotten that before some useless $30K type rating that you may never get to use. Plus you know what the difference between type rated CPL/IR guys and not type rated ones with an FI is? While the type rated guys are sitting at home, the guys that got their FI certificates are still in the game , building time, flying, making contacts, etc. And if you do get furloughed, which you will in this industry, at least you have your FI to stay current and make a few extra bucks on the side while you are working as a greeter at WalMart. And some of you European pilots can correct me, but I am willing to bet that European FI's are having a much easier time finding jobs in Europe then guys with a FATPL that have, after training was completed, been sitting around for a couple of years not flying and letting their skills slowly deteriorate.

q2: Because this campaign is meant to protect pilots that already established their career. "Old pilots" do not give a s**t about us youngsters.

By the way, nice attitdue. In this game attitude is a big part of the equation and quite frankly you don't have it!!! Quite the opposite. They do care. I am not an old pilot (35 years old) but maybe to the 20 year olds I guess I may be . We care. We have been there. This industry is brutal. For every job available there are ten times more low time guys applying.. If you are 18 or 19 years old, get a non aviation related degree. Live at home, go to a state school and do it on the cheap. In the summertime, between your years in college , work towards obtaining you PPL. See if this is a profession you would enjoy. Then after you receive your degree then commence with full time training. Why do I say to get a degree? Two reasons, if aviation doesn't work out you have another career to fall back on . And what if you lose your medical? What then?

Just take a look at the number of integrated and modular students (sorry I'm a Yank so I don't quite know the exact way things are done across the pond) that have graduated in the past 5 years. Then compare that to the number of pilot jobs available. You will see that there is way more supply and demand. Oh yeah, and the pilot shortage. Not happening. I have been hearing about that as have the other older guys for as long as I can remember. The only one that perpetuates the pilot shortage are the flight schools. We are looking out for your LONG term interests not your short term ones. Yes you P2F, go do some line training, get a few hundred hours on type and maybe hope the airline keeps you. It may or may not work out. However, you have just screwed over and back stabbed another pilot by PAYING for a seat that should be occupied by a PAID FO. In the States, all TR's are paid for by the hiring airline. That's how I got mine. The only airline that requires you get a type is Southwest. All the others (including legacy and regionals) will pay for your type. However, when you pay for your type and participate in a P2F program, we are degrading the industry. That is why the QOL and TC's in this industry are going down the tube. Airlines now they will find guys willing to participate and spend loads of money to seat in the RHS. So yes we as pilots are our own worst enemies. But guess what, another P2F guy will come along and take your spot. The natural progression (besides the military) was (for the most part) GA. Flight instruct, banner tow, traffic watch, diver driver, etc. Thats how most of us "old guys" that don't get it" did it. We were in your shoes. Secretly wishing and dreaming that we would get picked up by an airline with a wet CPL/IR. But guess what, we stopped dreaming and started working towards that goal, by getting our instructor certificates, flying sky divers around, etc... Get some experience move on to the TP game. There was a natural selection. Cause the guys that truly wanted to be pilots persevered and eventually got there. Sure it may have taken 5 or more years, but in the grand scheme of things that is nothing!!! Now that whole model has been turned upside down with these P2F /line training/MPL schemes.

Last edited by TheBigD; 7th Feb 2013 at 15:05.