PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATR72 Incident at FCO
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2013, 18:02
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vc10Tail
THanks Chris for confirmig my views and adding further insights. I too ws no
convinced about the airport closure due to gusting winds and know that the PIc is entitled
To attempt the approach down to minimums,go around and hold or divert . Atr42-5 fcom says 45kt as max x wind dry runway and assumed it wud be close to that figure or minus 10kts for the 72 which I only did sim trng in 2008? So what s the uper limit for gust compared
to steady wind? X wind limit for CM2 in my airline is 15kt...ridiculous! I wonder if slight differential power is used (more on upwind side) to counter weather cocking can helop in stabilizing the flight tragectory as the ATR rock n rolls a lot on crosswinds..admitedly non standard but it is a matter of grabbing the bull by the horns when th going gets to ifugh. I like to keep the yaw damper on till 100ft RA and then have te freedom of rudder authorit to de crab while side slipping for a upwind wing down touch down..carrying power till touch down if momentum not constraining and flaring around 10ft max pitch 2.
5 degrees (avoid floating and getting bullied by the crosswind)..taking partiocular care with tail strike which the ATR72 is prone.I wonder if Flap 15 approach. Would handle better in such winds(though tail strike probability would be higher but it would allow for a higher approach speed which could counter the x wind additional to being armed for a
higher go around speed should it be required? Definitely a CM1 excercise!
It seemed to me that because there was no direct connection between rudder pedals and nosewheel steering on the ATR.....my first few strong crosswind landings had a tendency to find me behind the aircraft when it came to rudder inputs resulting in a not so straight landing. I was worried but after talking to a more experienced guy, he said that this was not abnormal for a newbie. Soon after, I found I no longer had this problem. But I wonder if it could crop up as a problem in an extreme case such as this Rome accident may have been.

Did anyone else experience this? Maybe it depends on your previous type flown.

Last edited by JammedStab; 6th Feb 2013 at 18:02.