PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2013, 17:43
jimf671

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes, I have the ITT zip file that is at the top of the DfT web page and it is the September one. There will have been a few changes in the final one but it has not been made public. I recommend a look at the DfT documents to anyone who has an interest in this. The Specification (previously Technical Requirement Matrix) has a respectable amount of detail. Even there, it is believed that there are other issues that have been thrashed out in the 'Boot Camp' but don't appear in that version of the customer's documents.

I expect the matter of continuation training for SAR partners to be addressed in the final arrangement. I expect there to be a number, though I am not completely certain, and I do not know what it is.

Where I think some difficulty lies is with initial type training. This is the matter of introducing the new service and its equipment, and doing initial pre-training to replace normal air transport passenger briefing, as mentioned in CAP 999. It applies to land and maritime alike and includes thousands of people.

Beyond the pre-training issue is its important effect on public relations, management and reputation. After the Guardian articles last week, thousands of broadsheet readers now think their £2bn to £3bn is going to be spent on rubbish. Proper open government and the DfT/MCA having the bidders and contractors on a longer leash would have meant that certain people would have had a better grasp of the facts and those article might have had a significantly different flavour.

Below that small tip there is a very large iceberg. If the DfT/MCA don't get a grip then, during the first five or so years after award, the management, at both the customer and the contractor, will be spending a ridiculous amount of time trying to sell the idea of the new service to the public and press. This will be time that would be much better spent on effective transition management and improving the service.

And I'm not trying to get a bite. There are a small number of issues that still need sorting. I and others will keep plugging away until the right answers are forthcoming.