PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restricted Airspace Clearance
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2013, 07:30
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A MATZ has a specific set of rules
Which are exactly the same as class G for civi pilots because thats all it is. Airmanship and courtesy mean that in general you would offer your assistance to the ATS operating it. Restriced areas are just that restricted and if you bust it your in trouble.

A FISO can pass on airways clearances. Which I learned on here a wee while ago and strangley enough a couple of weeks later started getting them regularly from one airport who had just got rid of there controllers. I suppose you could count clearance relay as just information though.

The best thing with these areas is to give them a ring a couple of days in advance and just ask them. Some units seem to take personal pride in how much traffic they can get through, plymouth mil/portland ranges and Tain range for example and others really arn't interested for example the Highland restricted area. There is alot of stuff we don't hear about so maybe I am being a bit harsh.

Don't be put off by the Mil turn of phrase when you intially phone. They have to put that on incase its some other mil type phoning. Most of the time as soon as they find out your a civi and what you want they warm a bit and sort things out. They maybe a bit cyrptic because for somethings they may very well know something is happening that day but don't want to tell you so. So if it gets cyrptic presume that there is something going on that will prevent you going through.

The best thing is to plan two methods one going through the area and one going round. And then load fuel for the highest option and then see on the day. Make your descion point quite a distance from the area then make the call early if you are going through or not. As you become more experenced you can leave it later.

Have fun these sort of challanges make the Nav side of things interesting.