PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moving to Canada
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2013, 01:25
er340790

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came over in 2004. Applied on the Skilled Worker prog (points based) and whole process took 11 months. Could have applied as husband of a CDN citizen but that process at the time took longer.

They tell me the whole thing takes MUCH longer now with half of Iraq and Afghanistan in the queue: last person I spoke to said 3+ years. It's a painfully slow and bureaucratic process and I still come out in a rash at the mere mention of Vegreville.

Initial approval results in Permanent Resident status (the old Landed Immigrant). This gives all rights except the right to vote or sit on a jury. Maybe don't expect too much help overseas - they will just tell you to go see your own embassy of citizenship.

After, I think, 3 years in Canada, you can apply for citizenship. I didn't bother for 5 years. The only real world advantage for me was to get into the US without the old green Visa Waiver forms for UK passport holders.

Is it worth it. Sure. But if you are leaving problems in the UK you are just as likely to encounter same and more here. Mind you, all the geography and fresh air make up for it.

Oh, and yes, the comedians are right..... Canadians are basically uptight Americans!

Sorry everyone.