PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows for the Chop?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 18:13
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
The T2 notion

There was a question I was going to pose on here a week ago and would the Reds upgrade to the T2, considering the T1's days would be numbered somewhere I read (maybe in AFM recently regarding the 4 Sqn article)

I agree with Clockwork that the perceived saving of 8 mil per annum is a drop in the ocean considering the amount that has been perceived to be wasted and still is on not necessary projects and stuff and consultants.

On a social scale look at this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...500m-year.html

In theory, solve the above and may (a very big 'may' or 'if; ) help out the economy of the UK in its present state.

When I was at school, over 2 decades ago , one of the debating societies from the different boarding houses , had a topic which was "Should we keep the Monarchy or not" and one question raised was it worth all that money and what does the Monarchy do for us and value for money.

The point is if you scrap the Reds, might as well make this a republic and get rid of the Royal Family. They're both great Ambassadors both foreign and domestic and morale boosters. For example not so fortunate, bringing a smile to someone who for example is young and terminally ill who gets a chance to visit the Reds at an airshow and sit in the Hawk cockpit (real or mockup for the recruiting team) or have a visit from Kate to a hospice or ward will boost morale and hope.

IMHO, the Reds would be even better if they could upgrade with the T2 and it be great for promoting BAe and I think someone said on here that its the likes of BAe contribute towards the costs of overseas tours (?)

In terms of cost effectiveness, the immediate re equipping of the new T2? Perhaps as the Valley set up is half from Ascent, so maybe run the Reds with Ascent's help could help economically?? I may be blowing hot air from the Adour here but if the threat to bin the Reds is seen to be very real then any method of saving whats left of the family jewels should be considered

Cheers