PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows for the Chop?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 13:48
Clockwork Mouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a very emotive topic. The simple question is, when money is so tight, why should the RAF keep the Reds? Well, here are the views of a Pongo.

Their costs seem to be the main argument for axing them. However, even in the current financial situation, the £6 million or so a year including personnel costs, quoted by HQ Air Command a couple of years ago as the annual budget for RAFAT, is a drop in the ocean. They attract considerable commercial sponsorship and public event organisers are happy to pay the going rate to attract them. Axing the Reds would make no noticeable difference to the MoD’s liquidity or effectiveness in the short term and would certainly bring no longer term financial benefit for the RAF.

So do the Reds provide value for money to the RAF? From reading the posts on PPRuNe, one must regrettably conclude that many Crabs think that they don’t. Why do they express that view? There are certainly some posters who have a chip on their shoulder and do so from envy and a dislike of a perceived elitism in the Red Arrows. Their views are irrelevant. Many more balanced posters find it impossible to justify spending scarce bucks in times of conflict on things that don’t actually go bang. Their views are valid and worth considering. What is the Reds’ PR value to the RAF? Probaly considerable, but does that translate into value for money? Impossible to quantify. What is their recruiting value to the RAF? Probably significant, especially to those interested in a flying career, but difficult to quantify and certainly not critical. Are there any other benefits to the RAF, such as encouraging professionalism, pushing boundaries etc? Probably to some degree but unlikely to be significant.

So do the Reds provide value for money to the country? This is actually the key question. The Reds had an unusually high profile nationally last year following the two tragic fatal accidents and with the Jubilee celebrations and the Olympics. No one who watched the spontaneous reaction of the public to the immaculately flown and timed, noisy and colourful flypasts by the Team thoughout the UK can doubt the huge esteem and affection they are held in. The displays flown at airshows were almost of secondary significance in their impact for the public.

That is the real significance of the Team. The RAF operate them but do not really own them. The Red Arrows are a national asset. They are loved, admired, held in reverance by, bring pride and pleasure to millions of our countrymen and at a time when we do not seem to have a lot to be proud of. That is real value. They are also enjoyed and admired by millions of foreigners whose perception and opinion of our nation’s qualities is thereby enhanced. That is of incalculable value.

As I have already said, I am a Pongo and an old and crusty one at that. But I have followed, loved, admired, enjoyed and envied the Reds for most of my adult life. I am sure that the public believe they are worth keeping. To hell with the bean-counters. It is not within the remit of their Airships to axe them. I hope that our publicity aware political leaders realise that.