PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK PPL and FAA Class 1 medical
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2013, 15:27
custardpsc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are right about the forms but you normally have to send copy of your foreign caa medical when you apply. Suggest calling the FAA foreign validation section, they are helpful by phone. I think that in your case you don't have a foreign med to verify, you could probably just verify the license, and present the FAA med cert at the fsdo. Note you need to make an appointment at the fsdo for a 61.75 and they won't schedule that until they have their copy of your verification letter. some fsdos don't insist on appointments it seems but my experience has been that they do. Either a verified caa med or a FAA med cert can be used with a 61.75, and a FAA med done in uk is entered on the FAA database right away by the medical examiner so just take the cert to the fsdo. In practice, worth doing both caa and FAA cert at same time if you can. Quite a few med examiners can do both, and class 1 FAA quite straightforward.

Hope this helps

Edit - do you need to verify your existing licence? You could ask for a student cert with your first FAA medical just for the asking. Although you'd need solo endorsements etc, they are free, and it would save all the verification paperwork. I can't remember the cpl entry requirements off hand but worth checking if you actually need the private check ride or just need to meet the private experience requirements and then the cpl requirements before progressing to commercial, cant remember which it is now but five minutes with the far should tell you if it's doable on a student cert. if you need a private check ride or need to hour build getting the 61.75 makes sense of course...

Last edited by custardpsc; 30th Jan 2013 at 15:39.