PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2013, 08:50
IFR Piglet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m informed that originally the DofT would have preferred the single fleet of S-92s but since changed their minds on the basis of cost. The country needs to tackle the deficit and it has to come from somewhere.......perhaps too much reality for some to cope with? The bonus of a dual fleet has already been pointed out several times and is indisputable.
Crab suggested the EC175 over the AW189 after whingeing about/observing the lack cabin space in the AW189. The S-92 has a wonderful cabin but it’s not perfect either.......anyone over 6ft will not be able to stretch - in accordance with modern company health and safety policy - prior to conducting the stretcher entry. The company can’t fix this problem by merely employing folk shorter than 6ft (with properly fitted personal issue Alpha helmets) as this would be deemed positive discrimination. So we find ourselves in a less than perfect world and I like Crab feel a growing need to get hysterical!!!!!.......I just cannie take it anymore.......Oik! Oik!

Below are a couple of links to provide info on internal dimensions for the EC175 and AW189. The suggestion of the EC175 over the AW189 due to cabin space looks slightly flawed. I personally don’t know of a small type in existence that will allow average dimensioned people to “walk about” inside.
My main concern is that the DofT have the detail of their contracts really pinned down as they will get exactly what they pay for and that the OEMs be held properly accountable for any shortfall in spec/perf. You would also have to consider that locating a smaller aircraft near locations in the UK where there is a greater likelihood of interaction with an MRT is less than ideal. I wonder if this was even considered.
http://www.ainonline.com/sites/ainon...pdfs/ec175.pdf
AW189 | AgustaWestland

P.s. Anyone with close links to current civvie SAR north of the border might recognise someone in the EC175 link. The boys done good!!! Well done.