PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2013, 21:09
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
llamaman- I'm not sure what point you are trying to make regarding lifting - you seem to agree that lifting is done with the legs (not possible when you are kneeling down which is how you have to be in the cabin when it is 1.4m high).

If you are suggesting that rear crew live their lives in a 'clean and jerk' style squat and then try to shuffle around the cabin to position the casualty, you are even further off-piste!

The S-92 does fall short on the radar issue but when push comes to shove you have to make SOME compromises but a small cabin is a very poor compromise - a radar is needed on a few rescues - the cabin is used in ALL of them.

TC if I were suitably monied I would travel in a decent sized cabin (EC175 springs to mind and still sleek and fast) not lying on the floor (almost) in a 139 - choices are available Ask the pax who had to escape from the 139 that went down in HK Harbour how easy the cramped cabin was to escape from.

Helicopter designers design what they are told to design and try to make the manufacturing process as simple (therefore cheap) as possible - hence the 'family of 1-9s' doesn't make them good helicopters or fit for purpose though.

Unlike car manufacturers who make what their customers want, helicopter companies sell what they are prepared to produce and the customer has to like it or lump it.

Last edited by [email protected]; 28th Jan 2013 at 21:11.