PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the AME apprentices?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2013, 11:18
Doug_89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,
Firstly I have been looking at AME apprenticeship pathways for a while now and I have found more information on this thread than anywhere else, including apprenticeship centres and the very limited network in the industry I have (mostly pilots however, which arent very usefull). So for that, Kudos!

This thread has answered a stack of questions, mostly relieveing me of my worries that there are no Apprenticeships out there. Obviously there is and I am looking in the wrong places. However It has raised other questions/issues.

I am a 23 y.o, currently in the Army, based in Darwin but from SA, where, for service reasons my Partner and 3 y.o son reside. Basically I'd give my left nut to get into the industry, with a career in mind. I'd love to end up a LAME (mech) on Helicopters. Thats my passion. I worked for a SA based company operating R44s and a 206B before enlistment where I gained some insite into the industry. I worked on the helicopters as a hangar monkey pretty much and was crew for tourism operations. Nothing special but enough to know its what I wanted to do.

Im already dribbling on so Ill cut to the chase,
1) Many posts are encouraging individuals to steer away from the game all toghether. Is the pay (once qualified) that bad? Has the new legislation/laws surrounding licensing screwed this up that much? I understand many negative posts will be from bad experiences and the "grass is always greener" syndrome, however there is a few like this...
2) Where do I start looking? I have already started abit of networking as I said however who are the best people to cold canvass to? (when I start that)
3) What can I do, off my own back, to make myself more attractive to a potential employer for an apprenticeship? Who would offer work experience?
4) I see many are studying themselves for the theroy component side of things. (Aviation Australia etc.) Is this a MUST to obtain an apprenticeship in this game? or is it common for it to be incorporated into the apprenticeship? Finances are an issue in my case so this is a bit of a concern
5) How different is the path way to rotary wing as it is fixed? Im 100% keen on Helos.

I think thats it for now! Im not trying to find a job here, thats borderline lazy, but network and get information. So ANY advice you guys have, especially the big guns (for want of better term) would be great.

I totally agree with all your observations on my generation. Everyones always chasing the greener grass without putting in the hard yards where they are. I work with some real idiots, but also some very hard working individuals. (Id love to say most of the oppertunities go to the latter, however in my game that Isnt the case alot of the time) Finding work around the hangar when your boss is busy or working late off your own back is a concept many dont understand. How would I best show that Im different? My family would move anywhere in Australia or NZ to follow any opportunity. ( Im a lucky man in that respect )

Some have already posted very valuble information, dont worry I have read back and seen it, so thanks. Know your all busy but anything specific to those questions would be Wunderbare!