PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - 2
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2013, 22:55
champair79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope its ok to ask the following on here. I did post similar on another forum but as yet no reply. I see that Boeing 737 G-DOCE returned from Sofia maintenance today after a 19 day stay. Boeing 737 G-DOCN left for maintenance at Sofia this morning. I think usually the 737s go to BA Engineering at Glasgow, although both Glasgow and Prestwick are both very busy at the moment with Airbus work. Quite a few of the 737s have had long maintemance checks recently and some a repaint. Hopefully this, along with extra A319s, will enable the summer schedule to run smoothly. Just a thought but is there scope for BA in times of extreme weather and such like at Heathrow to operate more flights temporarily from Gatwick? I have transferred several times LGW-LHR and vice versa and it hasn't been too bad at all. As always any comments and views welcome..
V.
Hi Vectisman,

I believe that due to the increased fleet size following the bmi acquisition BAMG doesn't have the capacity to service the entire 737 and Airbus fleet. As part of the deal to acquire bmi, BA inherited the bmi contract for Lufthansa Technik to perform maintenance at their Sofia base. As Sofia is an Airbus and Boeing capable facility, BA have chosen to send a few 737s there for heavy maintenance. It's not just the 737s though. A319 G-EUOF is there too.

I believe the Prestwick facility only does wing work on the Airbus fleet although I stand to be corrected. Some of the ex-bmi A319's have been going up recently.

As for operating flights from Gatwick, the extra cost and time don't really add up. When there is bad weather at Heathrow, usually Gatwick struggles (although not as much). You've got the logistical issues of coping with extra flights. Then there are union issues too. I suppose BA would consider if the weather was forecast to be bad for a long period but at the moment it's not on the cards.

Champ