PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You know who you are...
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2002, 03:27
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I sympathise and understand, I'm in my thirties now but have been working full time in aviation (either as an engineer or pilot) since I was 18. Through a combination of luck and talent I was working at a pretty high level in aviation companies from about 20 - and many older people did not appreciate that.

There are a lot of people who equate age with status, always have been, and always will be. I've suffered a lot of them and still see it occasionally now from people old enough to be my father (or mother, it's not a particularly male failing) who feel that this negates the fact that they work for me, not the other way around.

Sadly, you'll find yourself working for or alongside people with this sort of infantile behaviour. Much as one would like to, just saying "sod them", doesn't actually get you anywhere.

If you are young, keen, and have ability, you have the potential to beat them at their own game. Learn every lesson well, and prove it. Act with maturity, and don't turn up looking like THEIR image of a scruffy teenager. If they try to impress you with their greater experience or knowledge, read up on it and prove quietly that you can learn what they know. Don't publically lose your rag with them (unless you're in the position of somebody like WWW anyway, but even then do it with care).

And, when, eventually you succeed and like myself or WWW find yourself in charge, remember what it was like when you were starting and treat the next generation with the courtesy you'd like now.

G

Oh yes, having worked in both environments, take my word for it, Engineers are much much worse than pilots in this respect. This may be part of your problem if it is a place full of technicians who got there through longevity rather than ability.