PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You know who you are...
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2002, 15:51
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 429 Likes on 226 Posts
I agree with the previous posts. There is no excuse for treating anyone, especially a paying customer in an instructional environment, with disrespect.

I and countless others suffered this sort of thing over 25 yrs ago as a military student pilot, where some QFIs and some of the ground and admin staff thought of themselves as little demigods and treated students as idiots.

Later in life, when I knew better and had become an instructor myself, I was a paying customer at an civvy establishment, carrying out some refresher training for my professional licence. I was programmed to fly with one such ex-mil QFI. I became very unhappy with him after a couple of trips as I wasn't learning anything, just getting very pi$$ed off at many £ per hour!

After a few unheeded very heavy hints from me, I finally told him to take control of the aircraft and asked him to land off the approach because I'd had enough. He started to argue, so I folded my arms and said I was paying nothing after the next approach. He got that message! He landed, and we had the argument on the ground (where flight safety wasn't an issue). I told him that although the military may have found his arrogant and aggressive instructional attitude acceptable twenty years before, as a paying customer contributing to his salary it certainly was not accepable to me now. I climbed out and left him alone in the cockpit. I never flew with this instructor again and I later got a grudging apology from himself and another wholehearted one on behalf of the school.

Having got that off my chest, I think you should firstly explain how you feel to your instructor. He sounds a good guy and might be able to help.

Then if things don't improve, show this outfit the view they deserve - of your back as you depart through the door. They don't deserve your custom if they don't treat you correctly.

Good luck